Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Bleh.

I ate a lot more than I should have yesterday. I ate gingersnaps dipped in soymilk (yum!) and a fun-size candybar from Halloween. (Okay, two fun-size candy bars.) I was hungry, so I ate four meals instead of three. Not four full-size meals, but more than I should have eaten anyway. And it was my son's birthday, so I ate cake even though I wasn't hungry for it. And to top it all off, I didn't do my scheduled cardio! *sticks out tongue* Neener neener!

Why do people fall off the diet wagon?

I can tell you why I did yesterday. Because fasting twice per week takes more effort than I've ever put into losing weight before, and I entered it with the "understanding" that the weight would fall off me. (Insert knowing snicker here.) I am not making up the fasted calories on non-fast days (well, except yesterday) and I figured that something this intense and efforty would pay off. Like, regularly, every week, in reasonably exciting increments.

Because seriously, if fasting twice per week doesn't deliver better/faster results than just eating three sensible meals per day, why go to all the effort and struggle? If it gives me the very same results as scaling back calories but eating every day, well, I'd like to eat every day.

After two 24+ hour fasts last week, I gained .4 pounds?! As I wrote in my last post, I know that there may be things going on internally that I can't see and I can't measure. I'm not giving up yet. But I did fall jump fly off the wagon a bit at times over the weekend because I figured it just wouldn't make any difference whether I was perfectly controlled or whether I ate all the Halloween loot myself. The scale tells me it doesn't matter.

Today I'm back. I can do this. I can stick it out for more than two weeks and see what happens next. One foot in front of the other. Onward and downward.

1 comment:

  1. The weeks of fast Sunday were the weeks where I lost the most weight. I fasted the day I spoke in Stake Conference and weighed in the next Saturday and had lost three pounds. I know that hormones affect my desire to eat and have some impact on weight gain--quite a bit of impact, actually, so I'm wondering if that might have something to do with your gain last week.

    ReplyDelete